Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Purchase

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Purchase
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.biz>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:59:39

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

I think Rotax may have changed the warranty from what it used to be.

The latest warranty document states that for uncertified 912 models the warranty
coverage period is 18 consecutive months or the first 200 hours of operation
whichever occurs first.

It goes on to state:

This warranty will be in effect:
- In case of the warranty period being measured in hours of operations: from the
date the product is first put into use.
- In case of the warranty period being measured in months: from the date of
delivery
to the first retail customer, but in no event later than six (6) months
after BRP-Powertrain invoice date regarding the sale of the product to an
authorised
distributor/dealer.

This would suggest that dealers cannot store or keep engines for longer than six
months if the purchaser is to get his full 18 months warranty!
Rotax effectively give the engine a 24 month warranty starting from manufacture.
If dealers do have the engine for longer than six months then the warranty will
have started before they sell it!

The warranty document is in the Tech Support area of the Rotax website.

There is also a video clip from the Rotax Flying Club (link below) that seems to
suggest the same.

http://rotaxnews.net/?p=268

I believe the previous UK Rotax dealer - Skydrive are selling engines at reduced
cost for this very reason, they have limited warranties.

I think I shall just have to buy as late as possible and work faster!!

--------
Regards

Kelv Weston
Kit 497