Europa-List: Re: STOL enhancement?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: STOL enhancement?
From: Clive Sutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:15:09

Thanks for everyone's responses.  The fact is that some STOL users may choose a
CH750 over a Europa and for that reason it is worth considering improved STOL
performance in my view.  A consultation with AD at the LAA revealed that 33
degree
flap was tried during development - which improved stall speed, but aileron
authority was degraded at that speed.

So I may try a phased approach to improve STOL (1) vortex generators ahead of
ailerons
coupled with an increased flap angle (2) fixed position leading edge slats
(3) deployable leading edge slats that come out with flaps.

If Europa landing performance could be reduced to below 100m, shorter fields may
open up the possibility of more people using their own land and thereby the
Europa regaining/retaining its appeal.  Available airfields (at least in the UK)
if not now, then in the future, are becoming a limiting factor . . .

Read this topic online here: