Europa-List: Re: STOL enhancement?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: STOL enhancement?
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 00:42:31

My first thought on this made me laugh....  If you need to operate out of 200m
strips then go the ugly duckling route.  The CH750 is a great plane if you need
to get off the ground very quickly and poodle around at 70kts.  The Europa is
a completely different machine - good short field performance (but NOT STOL)
- it is a machine for going places.  Operating from 400m (no obstructions) is
not an issue.

Slats on a Europa would be a major job - essentially a new aircraft/wing.  The
wing section does not lend itself to STOL and hence would need to change (higher
camber, more drag/lift).  The structure is not designed for the high lift loads
imposed by slats - hence has to change.  The elevator is, probably, sufficiently
powerful (required to arrest STOL type decent rates).  Landing gear not
good for the high ng (ground reaction load factor) of STOL operation - need
to change.  Etc , etc.

Why make a Tayradactyl out of a Swan?
[Rolling Eyes]

--------