Europa-List: Re: Fwd Aft movement at wing tip

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fwd Aft movement at wing tip
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.biz>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:24:49

Barry
17 years and 700 hours in a Europa, now I am really jealous.

Bud
Thanks for the info. I measured the gap between wing root and fwd socket again.
It is 0.8mm one side and 0.9mm the other. slightly more than 1/32 (0.79mm) but
not by much. Both pins extend just beyond the inboard face of the fwd sockets.
No bending loads evident on the fwd pins, they slide nicely into the sockets
when rigging.
The spar strap and tie bar are not done yet but both spar sockets are on and the
port main spar pin is adjusted for length as per the manual.

Frank
Hope you had the same feeling of satisfaction I had seeing the wings on.
Top is not on and stiffeners not done yet. However, I do have a very sturdy
build
cradle and temporarily secured the top in place with skin pins about every
8 inches. I understand what you mean about everything being flexible.

With a helper moving the wing tip, the slight, fwd aft clunk-clunk movement can
definitely be tracked back to the movement of the W26C barrel within the lugs
of the W26A body.
It is a very small movement at the socket, almost not visible but can be felt
with
a finger on the assembly. Over the length of the wing it becomes a more obvious
movement at the tip although still small.
It is the same both sides so unless I have two bad W26 socket assemblies, I am
probably worrying about nothing.

--------
Regards

Kelv Weston