Re: Europa-List: My ailerons wont go down

Subject: Re: Europa-List: My ailerons wont go down
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:17:14
Will,
You've got the right attitude.

Setting the belcrank on the wing to 90 degrees is only one part of the
rig.  Your fuselage QDs may be the culprit as well.  You can adjust the
aileron as suggested many ways.  Check that your flaps and wingtips are
not drooping.  Use your incidence board and check the flaps on both
sides are dead level with the board.  If your board is lost, you have
only the lower wing to set level across the flaps with the lower first
six inches of the wing skin.

Big thing to remember is the outer short push rod sets the up limit at
nominally 23.5 to 24.5 (25.5 max). The up limit on one aileron sets the
down limit on the other.  If you have full required travel of the
aileron (roughly 42-46 degrees) your problem is normally your QDs are
not set vertical to the ground with the fuselage level and plumb.

Measuring with a Smart digital level is made easier by some
manufacturers by removing the center portion.  Now you have a short
smart level.  The smart tool is a bit cumbersome to use but essential
for the flap/stab measurements.  For the ailerons, I use a simple
protractor made by General (#29) for inside and outside measurements.
It is about $5.  (A carpenters bevel gauge works outstanding also.)

Set the protractor/bevel gauge at the desired angle and put it just to
the outboard of either wing hinge (I use the inboard) and take a quick
look and adjust down to about 24.5 degrees or so by just holding the
gauge to the wing and looking at the gap.  With the aileron up (outside
postion on the protractor) I set the pushrod to give me 23.5 to 24.5 as
set on my protractor/bevel gauge.  I do the same on the other wing.  I
check that with the aileron down I get full down plus some before the
wt. hits the closeout.  Then set the fuselage and wing QD to vertical.
That should work, but doesn't always as you found out!

Some adjustment of the fuselage QD belcrank is necessary to get the
ailerons to be level with the flaps and outboard wing tip.  Use your now
shortened smart tool to get the fuselage QD vertical with the outer skin
as best you can, or put the pins in and set a T square on them to set
the QDs.  Yes, I know the T square is too big, so put the long section
in the fuselage and use a piece of 6 inch 3/4 lumber on the QD and align
it with the square.  Make sure both sides are the same.  Set the wing
lateral push rod to get the wing QD parallel to the pins.  Don't get
excited about setting the phenolic pads right now.  Look hard at your
bolt head alignment on the QDs.  They are probably off a bit.  By
adjusting slightly the angle of the QD you can adjust for some
misalignment.  Then put in the final pad.  (If too far apart, tack some
phenolic in place with a drop of super glue to help get things close to
final.)  Repeat on the other wing.  Note the ailerons for droop or
reflex (up) with both wings rigged and pinned.  The ailerons should be
even (both slightly up or down).  Now, degrig, adjust the lateral
pushrod a turn in the appropriate direction on each side, and rerig.
Continue until you have them both even and the throw correct.

To be honest, sometimes the wingtip is a bit off, so if your flaps are
dead on, use them.  If the tips are off, I use a smart level and my T
squares to measure if there is twist between wings.  That's another fix
we won't get into right now. See my trimming notes if the incidence or
flaps are not exactly the same.

Good luck this weekend.  You have all the tools and frankly it sounds
like you have the total throw so you're almost there.

Remember, if you haven't taken it apart and put it together at least
five times (per wing), you're doing it wrong.

Bud Yerly