RE: Europa-List: Soldering Advice

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Soldering Advice
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 19:16:08
Tony=2C
Back from a working vacation.  To your questions:

I use the 60/40 (tin/lead) solder mostly.  Any lower tin content and after
a few years funny noises happen as the solder joint ages.  Higher tin is br
ittle=2C but looks good on copper pipes.  Since we don't do copper pipes=2C
 stick to the recommended solder by the experts.  60/40 takes a bit more he
at=2C cools slower and can cause a cold joint if you move the wire while co
oling.  63/37 melts and cools nicer.  It cools faster=2C and allows you to
hand solder without using a helper or set of clamps to keep everything soli
d.  Use rosin core not acid core solder period.  For circuits the 2% silver
 solder is recommended but not necessary.  Heat is a bit higher so use pati
ence.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ for a great lesson on tool
s then go to part 2 for soldering D subs.  Also Google proper soldering tec
hnique to prevent overheating wires=2C solder inspection for cold solders
=2C etc.  Pace Worldwide has a number of texts and now videos on techniques
.

As far as wicking=2C if you heat a wire (copper or mil spec) and get it ver
y hot back under the insulation=2C when the solder is put to the wire=2C it
 will rapidly run up the wire and under the insulation making a very stiff
wire.  If the wire is flexed or allowed to vibrate=2C it tends to be brittl
e and will crack.  If the proper technique is used to heat the wire just en
ough to melt the solder you should be OK.  I will admit=2C I allow my solde
r iron to get to proper temp=2C clean the tip and put a small drop of solde
r on the tip.  Then I dip the wire on to the hot solder gun and allow the d
rip of solder to begin to wick up to just short of the insulation.  If the
insulation is melting or you can't hold the insulation because the wire is
too hot=2C you've got too much heat.  Practice and flex the wire then cut t
he wire and look.  Work on your technique.  In a few minutes you will be an
 expert.

Practice and see what works best as far your equipment and technique.  If t
he solder looks clean=2C bright and smooth=2C it will normally be a good jo
int.  I use a round tip on my 20 watt Weller and it has a problem with heat
ing anything but a point source like on a circuit board.  A chisel tip on m
y variable heat Weller is better for most of our work.

Enjoy yourself=2C
Regards=2C
Bud Yerly

> From: tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com
> Subject: Europa-List: Soldering Advice
> Date: Tue=2C 17 Jun 2014 12:01:54 +1000
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>

> Gidday=2C
> I read somewhere about using a different ratio solder from what seems to
be more commonly available. Can someone confirm the ratios please=85somethi
ng like 70/30. Thanks.