Re: Europa-List: Soldering Advice

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Soldering Advice
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:30:38

        Hi Tony

        See: http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpose-solder/=sfvdr5

        For electrical soldering I use 60-40 which stays plastic for a while,
63-37 which changes from liquid to solid very quick, works OK to add a
joint to 60-40 since it has a lower melting point, I also like the 2%
silver which has a melting point between the two which I use for high
current joints, it's also probably the strongest. I use the 5 flux
core .025" thick. I can solder very thick things with it, just twist
it together (sometimes just keep folding in half a 6 foot length). I
recently soldered some #2 wires with it, works fine. The Silver is the
most expensive, if I could only have one solder, that would be it. My
second choice would be 63-37 although 60-40 works pretty good too.

        Keep the tip clean on your soldering Iron, dip it in Flux helps, if you
have some mildly dirty stuff, mildly activated Rosin flux works a
treat.

        Ron Parigoris