Re: Europa-List: Trim damper and sticking the top on.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trim damper and sticking the top on.
From: Richard Collings <rcollings@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:18:23
Will
I understand your concern and agree with everything Fred has said, with
hindsight I would have fitted/glued the headlining material and cut and
trial fitted the carpets etc.
More importantly I temporally mounted on both sides of the canoe a 25mm
wide strip of 3mm steel on the inside of the mating flange with 5mm
cheese headed bolts every 150mm,  I then lowered the top on and into
position made clearing holes so that I could remove the bolts/strips
later after final gluing, and the used bolts with plate washers tapped
into the steel strip instead of the clecoes.  I used clecoes round the
tail as per the manual. This allowed me to fit and refit the top and
align everything before we finally glued the top on. This method reduces
the humps you tend to create along the joint line and subsequently the
amount of filler needed to smooth it out later. I was also able to make
L brackets to support the baggage bay bulkhead and trial fit before the
final gluing. One last thing, if like me you find it necessary to take
the top on and off many times, I mackled up a simple overhead winch to
do the job [there is no weight but its very unwieldy] and from memory as
soon as glue gets involved the simplest of tasks can grow horns.
Good luck.
Richard