Re: Europa-List: Whats new?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Whats new?
From: Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 13:28:38

David

You can do your training / flight test for your IMC in a permit.

I would prefer to be in court for doing IFR in a permit plane than dead :-)
Yes I know you should never get in that situation but......,

And fingers crossed IFR in a permit is on the horizon. Well within my lifetime
maybe.

Kevin Challis

> On 27 Apr 2014, at 12:03, "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:
>

> Kevin, I think your solution is a good one. I too had a nav/com with twin VOR
and ILS. Fun to play with but not much practical use until EASA allow IFR in
permit aircraft or all your GPSs pack up and you get caught in IFR way from
anywhere
(unlikely unless you plan to fly to Oz - when it has happened to nearly
all going through the tropical zone). Mine was an SL30, whose direct Garmin
replacement
turns out to be around 1cm fatter. This led me to totally redesigning
and rewiring most of my panel, an ongoing process that has taken longer than
the original panel fit! With wisdom of hindsight it would probably have been
smarter to keep the SL30 for Nav & back up com and use a Trig for standard com.
I have incidentally got a spare SL30 in perfect working order that I would
be happy to part with to a good home for a modest donation to my favourite
charity.
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

> Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't have a trig radio yet but I do have a trig transponder. There support
is fantastic I blew the transponder up when I fitted it (don't ask but
completely
my fault). Trig replaced it free of charge even though they were able to
say exactly what I had done to it. I will be buying the Trig radio.
>> I have a VOR and ILS connected to my current radio and fear I will have to
>> leave
it in unless anyone knows of a 8.33 radio which will do the same and not
leave me destitute.
>> Thanks Kevin Challis
>>> On 27 Apr 2014, at 10:15, <pjeffers@talktalk.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Richard,
>>> I have just fitted a TRIG 8.33 panel mount radio and am please with the
>>> performance
so far.  Not had it long so no idea of long term reliability.  What I
will say is that Trig, being UK based (Edinburgh,) are extremely helpful with
any queries you may have during installation and initial setting up.  They speak
a kind of English which I can understand and on one occasion even loaned me
a replacement unit as aid to diagnosis of an interference problem.  In the end
that turned out to be generated by a Dynon D1, so nothing to do with the radio.
>>> Yes I recommend TRIG. The only negative I have heard about other makes is I
think the Funkwerk unit with yellow display which I have had reported as very
difficult to read in sunlight.
>>> Pete
No personal recommendation as I am replacing an SL 30 regards, David, GXSDJ
a 2.25in hole and replace a microair?
Iddon