Re: Europa-List: rudder cable pull test

Subject: Re: Europa-List: rudder cable pull test
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:58:22

Hi Rowland,
Can I ask, is the inspector interested in your swaging, because if it meets the
swage test, is not asymmetrically pulled up or too stressed over the thimbles,
what actually is he after? If he wants proof that the supporting structures
are strong enough, such as the rear bulkhead that supports the GS mod, is he
interested
whether it can withstand the 60 % overload of the designed cable? Anyone
able to calculate the aerodynamic load at VMax rudder control deflection..(used
to know that),  and the max load on the pedal, based on mechanical advantages
etc.? Leg pressure must be under 100 lbs, which I base on large aircraft
being a max of 80 lbs as I recall, so it all seems a bit much to expect.
To me, its academic if the swaging is appropriate, the structure of the
bulkheads
is well made, and the correct sized cable is used. Is he within his power to
expect such things? Maybe time to change inspectors if you can ;-)
Regards
Tony Renshaw

On 22 Apr 2014, at 3:49 am, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2014, at 17:31, Rowland Carson wrote:
>
>> Applying 550 lbs tension

> breaking
strain of the cable (920 lbs) and the 60% of ultimate load called up in
AC43.13-1B:

> "7-146. CABLE PROOF LOADS. Cable terminals and splices should be tested for
> proper
strength before installation. Gradually apply a test load equal to 60 percent
of the cable-breaking strengths given in table 7-3 and table 7-4, for a
period of 3 minutes".

> If I can't find any other UK Europa builder who has done this test, my next
> port
of call will be LAA Engineering to see if they can offer some suggestions
to my inspector.