Europa-List: rudder cable pull test

Subject: Europa-List: rudder cable pull test
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 17:31:45

The new inspector for my Europa would like to see the results of a pull test on
my rudder cables.

Has anyone done this in UK, and if so, how did you achieve it?

The main lengths of my cables (back to the Graham Singleton bellcrank on the
rear
bulkhead) are made up and installed in the bonded-on fairleads so I'd have
to break something to take them out. Applying 550 lbs tension in-situ without
over-stressing anything else could be tricky.

To apply the pull, I am sure that in the past I've seen lever-operated hand
winches
advertised which can (eg) pull out a tree stump but I can't find anything
like that now. Nor can I find spring balances that would read up to about 600
lb for measuring the tension.

Any advice welcome!

in friendship

Rowland