Re: Europa-List: electric spikes immobilizing radio and electric VSI

Subject: Re: Europa-List: electric spikes immobilizing radio and electric VSI
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:03:47
Dear Europa community:
I am experiencing a strange electrical phenomenon:
After engine start (Rotax 912ULS) and showing up usually at first higher RP
M (run up or later, during cruise), my MGL V6 radio freezes. I first though
t it is a radio problem but on the ground, engine OFF it works great, and f
or extended period of time. Frozen means frequencies dialed will show on LC
D screen but pushing any buttons will not work and radio is incapacitated.
It remains in this state until engine is OFF. I am operating a handheld, sa
me frequency which does NOT show any distorted reception or TX problems whi
le VX is frozen. The V6 does not RX and TX when frozen.
I have a good set of headphones and hear no unfamiliar background noise eit
her. However, I discovered that on my GRT Glass, engine monitor graphic ana
lyzer, formerly drawing smooth curves for all 4 EGT and CHT sensor temps,al
l 4 parallel temp curves have now sharp steep triangular positive and negat
ive =93spikes=94, approximately every second or so, in irregular patterns +
/- and different amplitudes. At higher RPM the amplitudes increase, at idle
 they are hardly visible. But, no clicking or noise in the headphones.
I have a straight forward EXP-2 Bus system which worked flawless from day #
1 until 65 hours FT.
What really got me confused, and the radio suspect questioned is that my el
ectric VSI is now freezing as well or freezing at alarming altitude data di
splay (23,000feet last time). Where is my oxygen mask?
I have talked to ROTAX Canada but they had no clue yet.
Just in case, I ordered a new rectifier unit and capacitor in the hope of r
emedying the problem this way. Parts have not arrived yet.
Any ideas what the issue can be or how to trouble shoot this?
Thanks,
Christoph Both
EUROPA C-GPEL
75+ hours, Waterville, Nova Scotia, Canada