RE: Europa-List: Ammeters & Voltmeters

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Ammeters & Voltmeters
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 05:53:41

Fred,
By definition, a current is measured by sticking a voltmeter across a series
resistor...albeit a very very small-valued one, so as not to impede the
current flow in the circuit. It is small enough to be thought of as a wire.
Similar to what Graham was saying, I too, have used the voltage drop across
a wire to measure current. However, a ready-made shunt is preferable. It is
designed to be more stable (linearized) than a wire (over heating effects,
etc). A store-bought current meter usually has a calibrated shunt already
installed between the two terminals in the back of the meter. Large wires
need to run to this type. Alternatively, the 'Resistor' could be located
remotely i.e.. by the battery. This way large wires do not need to be run to
the instrument on the panel. It can be complicated for sure. Might be easier
to just run the heavy wires to the pre-made Current meter and call it good.
My explanations act like they've had a six-pack sometimes. Hope this makes
sense.
Greg