Re: Europa-List: Original Sight Gauge Replication

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Original Sight Gauge Replication
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:30:41
Hello everyone,

I have been using this in my aircraft since 2004.  Tony K did the original
design work and it is based on a PIC micro processor.  It is calibrated in
1/10th increments from empty to full and displays on a 10 segment LED or an
analogue display.

There isn't any PCB design and most people who have built them seemed to
have trouble in getting them up an running.  It's not complex to build but
they do require a bit of tinkering to get them working, installed and
calibrated. In my case I set up a water manometer on my bench to get it
debugged and working.

The only issue I have had is that despite having a static vent on the
differential side, the gauge does read high when climbing and low when
descending and it takes a few minutes to stabilize in these scenarios. It
hasn't been enough of a problem for me to bother with trying to fix it.
Other than this it has functioned reliably for the last 9 years.

I use this in conjunction with my fuel totalizer and I do not have a sight
gauge.

I do have the source code so I could burn some PIC's for people, but before
doing this I will need Tony K's permission.  I guess if there was enough
interest I could create a PCB design and build a batch of them.  I will
need to think on this some more before I sign up for this. :)

Regards, Paul