Europa-List: Re: ADI on android

Subject: Europa-List: Re: ADI on android
From: kees de bussy <keesdebussy@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:39:52

I agree with Frans that smart phones and tablet, using their internal sensors,
are a nogo for flying in IMC circumstances. However I disagree that the
technology
of solid state gyro's is by definition not reliable or not suitable for flying.
On the contrary, a lot of AHRS systems rely on it, in commercial as well
in military aircraft/UAV's and since a decade or so in small aircraft as well.
A typical AHRS system, as far as I am aware, relies on 3 gyro's and 3
accelerometers
and often 3 magnetometers as well. One of each at each axis to create
an inertial platform. These systems can be connected to a  gps, but not
necessarily.
Solid state gyro's have a lot of advantages over conventional (spinning)
gyro's.  They are very reliable in high vibration, high g-load circumstances
unlike conventional gyro's. AHRS systems can be very small light weight packages
nowadays, while conventional gyro's are pretty bulky and heavy. I know aviation
is pretty conservative, and that is good. The point is do not not condemn
modern technology as being not suitable while it might be (or should I say
will be) not only the near future but even already pretty common today.

Kees de Bussy

Read this topic online here: