RE: Europa-List: Airworld fuel gauge sealing - what to use

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Airworld fuel gauge sealing - what to use
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:11:53

Just be aware that any excess compound may get into the fuel system and
could result in a filter blockage.

We used a silicone gasket sealant to seal the fuel float gauge on my
previous kit aircraft (Shadow) and it broke off into the fuel forming
perfect jelly like spheres which blocked the fuel line. Engine stopped at
2,000 ft - fortunately we were within gliding range of the field.

I appreciate Hylomar is different (ie: not silicone) but needs to be used
sparingly. I have used Red Hermetite to seal fuel connections in the past
and it will form a fuel proof seal.