Re: Europa-List: Airworld fuel gauge sealing - what to use

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Airworld fuel gauge sealing - what to use
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 19:48:49

On 18 Sep 2013, at 19:25, graeme bird wrote:

> I fitted the airworld fuel gauge a while back and when the tank is up to the
top of the tube it seeps  at the screw heads and round the top of the tank. I
spoke to airworld and they said to take each screw out and apply some automotive
gasket compound. I brought some fuel resistant hylotyte from hylomar. Has anyone
had a similar experience? The design seems bound to fail as the fuel is
surely going to seep through the threads. Also tightening is going to just crush
the poly tank.

Graeme - I have not yet tested the fuel-tightness of my tank, but I did
pressurise
it as much as my lungs would allow while observing for bubbles in washing-up
liquid wiped around the likely areas of escape (old bicycle tube puncture
finding
technique). I had sealed around my Mod 60 tank probe with Loctite 5922,
which I got from Grampian Fasteners. It was recommended to me by Brian Fogg,
who said that smearing it around the flange of the sender had cured the cockpit
fuel smell he'd had for a long time. He got his from Halfords, but my local
branch never seemed to be able to get any in stock.

Hope this helps.

in friendship

Rowland