Europa-List: Fuel filters

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel filters
From: Gary Leinberger <Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 11:20:16

I am using automotive gas inline filters with automotive plastic inserts. I too
check them very regularly.  The problem of not being able to see if the bottom
of the fuel filter is clogged, or if there is  transparent material is a real
problem. I use a small metal camping mirror that just fits beneath my filters
under the pilot seat. Then if you shine a flashlight on the glass it becomes
very obvious if there is foreign material underneath. Without the mirror you
can't see if there is gunk under the filter. The light helps you see the
transparent
material.  I guess I could permanently put the mirror there, but I also
use the mirror to see my fuel gauge that is just to the right of my right arm.
I have put a lighted strip behind the gas line, and with the lights and the
mirror can easily see the level of fuel. While I have an inline fuel totalizier
which has proved extremely accurate, I still like to see the actual level in
flight since it only measures flow used. If there is a leak between the gas tank
and the totalizier,  you could be empty and still show fuel in the tank based
only on usage. Particularly when the fuel is low, it is hard for me to see
the level of fuel in the gas gauge line. (I also have a neck problem that makes
it hard to twist to see the fuel gauge when the level is low.) I have cut my
flight planning range to 2 hour flights, since I generally fly IFR and want
an extra reserve if I get caught in a headwind and decreasing ceilings which
then
requires some hunting (and extra gas) for a good airport to tuck into. This
also means my safe fuel capacity equals my bladder capacity. (If I wanted to
go fast I would have built a 200 mph speedster.)

Gary Leinberger
N388SG
Lancaster, Pa.