Re: Europa-List: Tri-gear Flap Cross Tube Slot Length

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tri-gear Flap Cross Tube Slot Length
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 14:29:49
Old age I guess! {{;-) now you know how I feel!=0AG=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A_________
_______________________=0A From: Ivan Shaw <ivanshaw@btinternet.com>=0ATo:
europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Wednesday, 31 July 2013, 14:27=0ASubject
: RE: Europa-List: Tri-gear Flap Cross Tube Slot Length=0A =0A=0A=0ALooks l
ike mine is!!=0A-=0AIvan=0A-=0AFrom:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.
com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of GRAHAM SIN
GLETON=0ASent: 31 July 2013 14:22=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com=0ASubject
: Re: Europa-List: Tri-gear Flap Cross Tube Slot Length=0A-=0AThanks for
that Nigel=0AAs you say, fascinating! I'm glad my memory is not so innacuar
ate after all!=0AGraham=0A-=0A=0A________________________________=0A=0AFr
om:"nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk" <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>=0ATo: europa
-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Wednesday, 31 July 2013, 13:42=0ASubject: Re:
Europa-List: Tri-gear Flap Cross Tube Slot Length=0A=0AA fascinating insigh
t into the reasoning behind the recommendation for =0Athe optimum flap sett
ing can be found on page three of this early =0Afactory newsletter, dated M
arch 1994.=0AThis did of course relate to the first prototype, G-YURO, whic
h was =0Apowered by the 80 horse 912 driving a fixed pitch Warp Drive prop.
=0A=0AHappy days. The enthusiasm and excitement was palpable.- Isn't it t
ime =0Asomebody developed a new homebuild?=0A=0ANigel=0A=0A=0A=0AOn 30/07/2
s Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>=0A>=0A> On 07/29/2013 11:25 AM, GRAHAM S
INGLETON wrote:=0A>=0A>> don't use 30 degree flap, Europa tested it and fou
nd you are starting to=0A>> lose aileron control at the low speeds achieved
 in ground effect.=0A> I have some trouble believing this (and even when it
 is true it is=0A> questionable whether this is still a valid reason for th
e XS with the=0A> increased aileron span and with more powerfull engines).
=0A>=0A> With higher flap settings you are getting more drag than additiona
l=0A> lift. With 10% more flap (30 degree instead of 27) you will get maybe
=0A> just 5% more lift. If the ailerons are inadequate for this tiny bit of
=0A> extra lift I think they would have difficulties handling 27 degrees as
=0A> well. Furthermore, in the XS the ailerons are substantially increased
in=0A> lenght, significantly more than 5%, and should have much more contro
l=0A> power at low speeds! Even if control problems were the limiting facto
r,=0A> than it is questionable whether the same limit would still be needed
 for=0A> the XS.=0A>=0A> I thought that the limitation in flap was because
of the 80hp engine=0A> used for the certification, which might have lacked
sufficient power to=0A> exercise a go around with full flaps under full loa
d (which is, if I=0A> remember correctly, a certification requirement. For
the same reason the=0A> older Cessna's have 40 degree flaps, where the newe
r ones have 30 degree=0A> which was instantly rewarded with a 30Kg higher M
TOW without any=0A> structural changes).=0A>=0A> Furthermore, in the tri ge
ar the fact that you have the option to use 30=0A> degree flaps doesn't mea
n that you will have to use this all the time.=0A> There are situations whe
re more flap would be welcome, and there might=0A> be situations where usin
g less flap would be better. I can't see the=0A> benefit of the 26 degree l
imit. Of course for the mono you have no other=0A> option than to land with
 full flaps, so maybe in this case the=0A> limitation is justified.=0A>=0A>
 I know folks having drilled a new hole in the lugs on the flap control=0A>
 tube, so that the actuator can drive the flap further (and faster). No=0A>
 control difficulties are observed even in quite a few nasty situations=0A>
 with 30 knots wind and lots of turbulence. Instead the short field=0A> cap
abilities are somewhat improved.=0A>=0A> Regards,=0A> Frans=0A>=0A>=0A>=0A>
=0A>=0A>=0A=0A=0A=0A-=0A-=0Ahttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-L
ist=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com=0Ahttp://www.matronics.com/contribution