Europa-List: Exhaust Fouling the Cowling

Subject: Europa-List: Exhaust Fouling the Cowling
From: N6ZY <jffisher@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:32:23

I am in the process of fitting the cowling to my 914-equipped XS.  The number 1
exhaust pipe seems to be touching the cowling, and may even be pushing it
forward.
I am sure that I am not the first person to hit this issue.  My current
thought is to cut the cowling away from where the exhaust pipe is touching it,
to fair a blister into the cowl, then wrap the exhaust pipe.  In addition the
number 1 EGT port is almost touching the cowl.

It may be that the exact engine position relative to the cowl varies slightly
with
how the engine frame is bolted to the airframe, but the tolerances here do
seem very tight.

I would appreciate hearing what everyone else has done if they hit the same
problem.
Thanks.

Jerry Fisher

Read this topic online here: