Europa-List: 912UL operating temperature

Subject: Europa-List: 912UL operating temperature
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 05:40:16

Greetings to all from Kenya.

Does anyone know what is the minimum cylinder head (coolant) temperature for
normal
operations?  The manual gives maximum but no minimum, save for warming up
to above 50C for takeoff power.  I was told recently that cylinder head temp
should not be too much below Oil temp, but not sure about this.

Some years ago I had new radiators made by Docking Engineering of Silverstone,
after a leak in the Europa ones.  They have proved so efficient that I cannot
get the temp much above 105C after prolonged climb, and it settles to 80-90C in
the cruise, against an oil temp of 105C.  I put blanking strips on them to get
the temp a bit higher, to 95C, but took these off to test recently, and down
the temp went.  The plugs are fouling up with carbon more now (with the odd
missed beat), which according to the manual is caused  by running too cool.  But
I cant find that optimum operating temperature stated anywhere.  Any ideas
appreciated.

A very simple Europa...  912UL, warp-drive fixed pitch.
Best
Richard

Read this topic online here: