RE: Europa-List: 912UL operating temperature

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912UL operating temperature
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:26:27

Hi,

We have been going through similar angst with our engine temperatures -
following a carburettor rebuild.

Ours was running hot due to us rebuilding/ servicing the carbs - we used the
proper Bing overhaul kit 145 per carb - ouch. We assumed that the float
levels would be set at the factory but this is not the case - there is a
tool for adjusting the float levels which can be hired (however there is a
much easier/ cheaper way - I can explain if you email me).

Anyway, during my attempts to get to the root of the problem I found a
really good chart listing all the engine temps/ pressures on a single page.

http://www.rotaxservice.com/documents/4STref.pdf

These guys are the Rotax service agents in Canada - they have loads of
really useful helps , tips and troubleshooting charts on their site
including all the carb data - jet sizes, settings etc.

Our cylinder head temps have always been fairly low - about 80% with oil
temps between 100 - 125 C. Max CHT I have seen was about 100 but that was on
the ground with reduced cooling.

I find EGT is a better indication of the mixture - before our problem was
fixed (getting the float levels correct) our EGT's were running at 870
(misfiring badly). Now correctly adjusted we are down to 780 and 800
(measured on the front cylinders - these are the coolest). My guess is the
rear cylinders would be 30-50 degrees hotter.

Good luck

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS

912 UL - 80hp