Re: Europa-List: where to locate fuel pressure sensor

Subject: Re: Europa-List: where to locate fuel pressure sensor
From: richard <rcollings@talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 12:13:20
Hi Rowland
Philip suggests making a fuel manifold, he probably didn't know that new
rotax engines are supplied with just such a manifold, contact Conair for
a price also look at the latest installation drawings for a picture.
For what its worth I modified the fuel pipe runs, dispensing with the
rubber pipes in favour of proper aircraft aluminium  see Mod No 13304
Best wishes Richard

                                                             day, June
13, 2013 10:59 AM

Rowland  Hi
why not have a purpose made fuel manifold , mounted between and below
both carbs with ports drilled for various takeoffs.  So you can bring
the fuel in at the front with outlets to carbs left and right  the
return line at the top and the fuel pressure sensor mounted at the
bottom . Eliminating the tee pieces for a really neat job.   The
manifold could be made from a block of aluminium ect. Bar stock 30mm
dia. and machined on the lathe.

       Best regards Philip George

<rowlandcarson@gmail.com>

> I've not yet started the firewall-forward work, but am planning the
fuel system of my 912S installation as a whole while working on the
fuselage parts of it.

> I'm intending to install a UMA fuel pressure sensor, and for it to be
most useful, it seems good to have it as close to the carburettors as
possible.

> The manual shows the fuel line coming from the mechanical pump first
to the starboard carb, then the port carb and finally exiting via the
restrictor to the return line, so the choices for positioning a pressure
sensor takeoff tee are (a) between pump & stbd carb, (b) between the 2
carbs, and (c) between the port carb and the restrictor.

> I notice in the current Kitplanes a picture of several engine-bay
sensors mounted on the firewall and the caption says:

> "Sensors for (left to right) oil pressure, manifold pressure, and fuel
pressure should be mounted remotely on the firewall."

> Presumably this recommendation is to isolate them from engine
vibration & heat. However, without adding a long extra piece of piping,
the only one of the 3 choices above that allows a firewall mount is (c)