Europa-List: where to locate fuel pressure sensor

Subject: Europa-List: where to locate fuel pressure sensor
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 06:10:48

I've not yet started the firewall-forward work, but am planning the fuel system
of my 912S installation as a whole while working on the fuselage parts of it.

I'm intending to install a UMA fuel pressure sensor, and for it to be most
useful,
it seems good to have it as close to the carburettors as possible.

The manual shows the fuel line coming from the mechanical pump first to the
starboard
carb, then the port carb and finally exiting via the restrictor to the
return line, so the choices for positioning a pressure sensor takeoff tee are
(a) between pump & stbd carb, (b) between the 2 carbs, and (c) between the port
carb and the restrictor.

I notice in the current Kitplanes a picture of several engine-bay sensors
mounted
on the firewall and the caption says:

"Sensors for (left to right) oil pressure, manifold pressure, and fuel pressure
should be mounted remotely on the firewall."

Presumably this recommendation is to isolate them from engine vibration & heat.
However, without adding a long extra piece of piping, the only one of the 3
choices
above that allows a firewall mount is (c) - between the port carb and the
restrictor.

Does anyone see a problem with this proposed arrangement?

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, where have others mounted fuel pressure
sensors?

in friendship

Rowland