Re: Europa-List: Monowheel to trigear conversion - figures

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Monowheel to trigear conversion - figures
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:09:27

Gentlemen,

When you quote the speed of your aircraft, please clarify if you are talking
IAS,
CAS or TAS.

The 914 Mono I am now flying has the pitot and static vents in their original
positions.
i.e. pitot forward of the spar and static holes on the side of the fuselage.

I have always suspected the IAS to be under reading and flying in formation with
a Virus Motor Glider at different speeds confirmed this was so albeit I equally
suspect the ASI on the Virus is optimistic to some extent.

In flight at or close to AUW with Warp Drive square blade prop, at 9500 ft, 5000
RPM and 29" MAP, 20 LPH fuel burn, I am getting 118-120 IAS which is around
135kts TAS.

I am interested to know how these figures compare with others please.

Regards

Kingsley in Oz.