Re: Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 11:33:03

Mark, I realise I was being idle in not doing a bit more
research before mentioning pulse oximeters. There is a
good article at :
www.avweb.com/news/aeromedical/181896-1.html
That gives normal (ie average in healthy people) O2
saturations as follows:
10k ft - 88-93%
13k.    - 83-88%
16k -     75-80 %
20k.  -   70-75%
The authors point out that some people without
acclimatisation wil be fully functional at 20,000 ft
whereas others will be unconscious, and that here is no
critical level appropriate for everyone. That means to me
that if anyone is contemplating flying at a level
appreciably above 10k without O2 they would be well
advised to carry out experiments with an oximeters and a
safety pilot on oxygen.
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ