Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:56:35

Hi,

I'm planning for a trip to the Alps this summer and go up there to about 15.000
ft. I wonder about the necessity to use oxygen. Is there anyone who regularly
flies high altitude and which system do you use? I'm thinking about the Mountain
High O2D2 with cannulas which is also quite popular in the sailplane community.
There are also little emergency oxygen cans available but their intended
use is for an emergency descent in case of a malfunction in the O2-system.

I've heard of some who fly even at FL 200 without O2, but also heard of few who
cannot share their experiences about that

I know the rules and wouldn't encourage anyone to break them. I only want to
assess
risks and maybe get tips about O2-systems.

Btw: I'm a nonesmoker.

Thanks
Roland

XS Trigear 914