RE: Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:01:54

Hi Roland

I always used to use oxygen above 10,000 feet when I had my Twin Com.  When
doing my initial pilot training we went in a depressurization chamber to
demonstrate the effects of lack of oxygen.  I was the member of the group
who had my oxygen turned off by the instructor on the way up.  I passed out
just above 15,000 feet.  At the time I was 19 years of age, very fit and a
non smoker so it just depends on your physiology.

Since then I have skied at 15,000 feet but obviously I had had time to
acclimatize to he altitude.

Can't advise on portable oxygen systems never used one.

Personally I would not take the risk of high altitude without oxygen.  The
biggest danger is that you don't realize hypoxia is happening to you.

Regards

Pete