Re: Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Mountain Flying
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:02:12

Roland, When I researched the question a few years back
(whilst planning to fly to Australia at 10,000ft - which
was abandoned in the end) the Mountain High system seemed
the clear best bet. It is not cheap but you can (at least
in this country) hire them or possibly borrow one from a
gliding friend. If you are just planning to fly through
the Alps then none of the passes are significantly more
than 10,000ft and you can get away without oxygen. I ski
comfortably at 10,000ft along with several friends the
wrong side of 70. Historically lots of glider pilots have
been up to 17,000ft without oxygen and only a few of them
fell out of the sky!
           One thing I would reccomend is a pulse oximeter
which can be bought online for 50 euros or less and can
give you some way of checking you are not going hypoxic,
although speaking as a doctor, knowing quite what % oxygen
saturation to accept is not easy! None of my anaesthetic
friends who use them all the time could give me a sensible
answer about what level is acceptable & compatible with
normal brain function in a conscious healthy person. I had
planned an experimental sortie going up with another pilot
with him using oxygen and me not to record oxygen
saturation, mental agility and flying correctness at
various density altitudes, and also checking whether
things deteriorated when staying at the same altitude for
a length of time. My Oz trip was abandoned before I got to
that - a pity really!
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ