Re: Europa-List: Re: Warp Drive Tapered Tips

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Warp Drive Tapered Tips
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:50:46
Putting on my Airmaster Dealer Hat:
The 912 80 HP is best suited with the narrow chord 64 inch WD in either
the ground adjustable or the Airmaster AP332.
The Wide chord is necessary for the 912S and 914.

That said, if longer blades are used, the narrow chord blades are not
really well suited to planes like the Kitfox with 912S, Fascination, or
others which can take 67" and even longer blades.  Fascinations with
narrow chord blades are disappointed as the top end is not very good and
the Kitfox suffers the same, but the wide chord blades seem fine,
however the inertia of the prop is higher than is proper for the
Rotax...

The AP332 is capable of taking the Bolly, but that hasn't been much
better than the WD, at the shorter lengths just lighter.  However, the
longer prop lengths benefit by the decreased inertia on start and is
fairly quiet for those long blade length aircraft...

The case for high speed in the Europa and the WD is interesting.
Normally about 140-145 Knots is about the top for the 64 inch blades.
If you cruise routinely at higher altitudes such as 15,000, the WD
blades do not have sufficient twist for speeds much above that even with
the 914.

Airmaster developed the AP420 two blade and AP430 three blade to accept
other blades of wider bases and chords.  I prefer the Whirlwind blades
in the 430 but you can have many other blades such as the Sensenich (not
really good at high speed but great at low speeds and long blade length)
Bolly (Austrailian), Kiev (Russian), Whirlwind (US) and a few others.

At Sun n Fun I will approach Warp Drive to try to get them to allow me
to mold a new higher twisted blade with a slightly different chord width
at the base for the Europa fliers.  They rejected me two years ago, but
we will try again...

Regards,
Bud Yerly