Europa-List: Re: Warp Drive Tapered Tips

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Warp Drive Tapered Tips
From: tennant <barrington.tennant@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:15:53

Gentlemen,

A relay from Thomas:

Dear Barry,

for some unexplainable reason, I cannot post to the forum. Albeit I often would
like to share my experience.

Anyway, I am not sure whether I would subscribe still that converting from wider
blades to the tapered ones does help much in performance.

It is a complex co-play between OAT, Altitude, prop-angle and engine
performance.
I think I did change when I still had a ground-adjustable hub and then it helped
as the 912 is a quite weak engine when at high OAT and a heavy plane.

I am now flying non-tapered and illegally long (by Europa-standards) blades in
the search for hi-altitude performance. Since I added the airbox which is fed
by a NACA-Scoop with fresh and slightly pressurized air, my max indicated
altitude
flown in California was 18.200 feet. The RPM at take-off is however scaringly
low even with minimum prop-angle. Only during the second half of the roll
will I see more than 4.800 rpm !

Barry

--------
Barry Tennant