RE: Europa-List: Trailer regulations in UK

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Trailer regulations in UK
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 09:43:47

Richard,

In the UK I have built a lot of trailers over the years for myself (well
over 10, in fact I have 4 in use at the moment).

Anybody can build a trailer in the UK and it doesn't have to be registered
or insured. It will use the cars registration when on the road.

The requirements are:-
You must use UK approved suspension units.
You must use a UK approved coupling.
If it is over 750Kg it must have brakes and the brakes must have auto
reversing mechanism.
It must have light, number plate and triangles showing at the rear.
Max weight cannot exceed 3.5 tons authough the tow car may have lower
restrictions.
Max width and length are somewhere around 9ft and 23ft (I can't remember the
exact dimensions as they are under what I usually build, although I did
build a 22ft 10inch trailer once, which was right on the limit) These
dimensions can be exceeded if the load is indivisible.
I think I have covered most of the required points, but let me know if you
want any more.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY (Hoping that I can fly again one day if the runway ever dries out
after all the rain we have had)