Re: Europa-List: Filling/Painting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filling/Painting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:59:04
Nigel=0AI've never used Superfil but have recommended it, it is the simples
t way to achieve consistent density of the filler.=0AMixing expancell consi
stently is near impossible, the filler is so light it can't be weighed accu
rately in the quantities we use. Equally difficult=0A-to be-consistent
-with volume because it-compacts-so easily. I wonder if compacting it
 first -then-weighing-it would work?=0ANever tried that=0AGraham=0A
=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: "nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.u
k" <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: S
unday, 30 December 2012, 8:50=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Filling/Painting
Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?=0A =0A--> Europa-List message posted
 by: <nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk>=0A=0AA good bit of advice from Craig and
 Bud.=0AAll resins continue to cure (allbeit very slowly) over the years an
d as they do, they shrink a little The longer you can leave it between fill
ing and sanding, the better the finish you will achieve. If you have ever w
alked down a flight line of Europas and noticed the clear outline of spars
and ribs in the beautifully painted wing surfaces, it's because the filler
contined to shrink after they were painted.=0AIf (like me) your build exten
ds to years rather than months, you could fill the wings (as per Bud's inst
ructions) and simply leave them and move onto other tasks before returning
to flattening and painting. I left mine for over six months.=0AI too have h
ad great results with SuperFil, though the downside- is cost.=0A=0AHappy
New Year to everyone=0A=0ANigel=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----- From:
"craig" <craigb@onthenet.com.au>=0ATo: <europa-list@matronics.com>=0ASent:
Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:17 AM=0ASubject: RE: Europa-List: Filling/Pain
ting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?=0A=0A=0A> --> Europa-List messa
ge posted by: "craig" <craigb@onthenet.com.au>=0A> =0A> As always great adv
ice from bud, one thing I found when doing my tailplanes=0A> was that it se
ems much easier to=0A> Sand if the filler is left for a few days or more to
 cure.=0A> =0A> Sanding a few hours after cure using RADID hardener seemed
very hard work,=0A> paper continually clogging=0A> But the same surface a c
ouple of days later was much better, and no clogging=0A> =0A> Good luck=0A>
- - - - - - - - - - - - -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
====