Re: Europa-List: Filling/Painting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Filling/Painting Classic wings & Tail. SUPERFIL? SP106?
From: nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:36:09

Hi Fred,

Yes. I bought a three gallon kit at Sun-n-Fun, used the first gallon,
opened the second tin and discovered a faulty mix (lumpy), took it back
to the SpuerFill agent in the UK, who replaced the whole kit with
another three gallon kit. So in total I have had four gallons.

Mine was a classic with foam wings and I did try the factory filling
technique, though to be honest, did not have a lot of luck with it. If I
had had the benefit of Nev's missive then, I would have persevered
I needed to fill the wings with the least amount of filler (weight and
cost), guarantee the profile and guarantee that both wing profiles were
the same.
I hit on the idea of creating "Template Fences" made from three 2" wide
strips of profiled filler, inboard outboard and centre of each wing
surface, to which I could fill and flatten. I cut three MDF master
aerofoil profiles, one for each station and used these to profile the
fences. With all three fences aligned, this guaranteed the correct
profile over the whole wing and guaranteed that both wings were
identical (not such a problem with the XS wings).

I needed to fill above this reference to give me waste material to cut
back, but I did not want to waste expensive filler, so I stuck on three
or four layers of PVC electrical tape to each fence to raise the
surface. I used a "Dry lining" blade to trowel on the filler and a
heated (to ease spreading) an 8 foot length of extruded "H" section
alloy to level the filler down to the fences.

After a few months curing, I peeled off the electrical tape to reveal
the profile surface and then used a giant home made vacuum "Air Spline"
to gently flatten the surface back until it just touched the reference
fences. In this way, I used (and wasted) the least amount of filler.

I filled both wings, flaps, ailerons rudder and tail surfaces.

Nigel