Europa-List: GRT EIS Rotax probes for CLASSIC installation

Subject: Europa-List: GRT EIS Rotax probes for CLASSIC installation
From: Christoph Both <christoph.both@acadiau.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:03:37
Hello Europa builders:
I am about to drill holes into the stainless steel CLASSIC exhaust headers
to mount the EGT probes. Rotax912S manual says to locate the EGT probes 70m
m or 2.75 inches from the exhaust port. Both back exhaust pointing stacks e
nd up drilling the thicker, double side flange if I take this measurement.
Is this OK? Front exhaust measures 70mm (2.75 inch) on the not- welded part
. Is this OK or have CLASSIC engine installations chosen a different distan
ce.

I have a GRT EIS Model 4000 for Rotax 912. It came with a number of probes
but no description of probes and where to mount them. EGT was no issue (see
 above). However, there is a set of what I assume CHT probes, one terminati
ng at one end with a large ring terminal (3/8 inch) and one with a very sma
ll ring terminal (1/8 inch). What are they for and where do I mont those? R
otax installation manual specifies that 2 probes are to be connected to the
 hot water location locations provided but then on one page describe tappin
g a M-5 (5mm) thread to "install" a probe measuring the CHT directly at the
 cylinder cooling fins as described.

I would appreciate some quick clarification for those who have installed th
is combination. Pictures appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Christoph Both
#223 CLASSIC Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada