Re: Europa-List: Re: Ultimate Vents

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Ultimate Vents
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:30:23

Hi Remi,

> So you are right that the rear fuselage  is a
> relatively high pressure area.

I had a hose connected to the outlet of the D-panel, all the way to the
sternpost. No air from the rear fuselage could get into the hose.
The interesting thing is that the sternpost (actually the space between
sternpost and rudder) is also a high pressure area.
I'm very surprised about that, as the rudder is smaller than the
sternpost, and air is streaming over the fin to the rudder and must
effect a suction force on the gap between fin and rudder.
At least we can conclude that the airflow remains firmly attached to the
rear fuselage, which is a good thing as it helps recovering some
pressure loss.

> Should an extraction device be
> necessary, I would try a hose from the D panel to an inverted scoop
> (or inverted Naca ??) at the bottom of the rear fuselage.

You can't invert Naca scoops, that won't work. But of course, some other
kind of scoop would work. The challenge is however to find some
"natural" outlet, as the gap between fin and rudder was supposed to be,
so the expelling air would reduce some drag instead of creating more.

Frans