Europa-List: Re: Mod 73

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mod 73
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 01:32:47

My Europa Classic mono-wheel has been flying for 15 years since I completed
building
it and all mandatory mods are up-to-date.

The answer to your question is "Yes, no doubt at all, lengthen the holes
circumferentially
in both the top and bottom of the torque tube".

A tip I can offer is to use two little pieces of tape (masking tape perhaps) to
stick on to the torque tube a couple of millimetres beyond the edge of the
original
round pip-pin hole. The edges of the tape pieces will give you a reference
limit up to which to file the elongations.

Having done the filing and before removing the bits of tape, check with the
pip-pin
inserted that it will move all the way along the elongated hole up to touch
the edges of the tape pieces. If it doesn't, the radius of the elongations
is too small and a little more filing will be needed.

The mod is an excellent conception in that a ridge/step/joggle is created to
obstruct
the edge of the bush should it become dis-bonded, so that the tailplane
cannot slide span-wise off it. I've seen this put to the test recently and I'm
convinced that provided the pin is properly inserted, then that potential
catastrophe
can't happen.

Even so and before this mod was issued, I had bonded a little piece of plywood
into the bottom of each pip-pin recess on the inboard sides, butting against the
pip-pin heads so that it would be impossible for the tailplane to migrate
span-wise
in the event of a bush dis-bonding.

Talk about belts and braces !

Read this topic online here: