Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:20:21

Hi Kevin,

> Frans, My engine symptoms were not constant. Only at high power.

Mine are not even constant at high power. Only temporary. After a few
seconds the engine runs fine at full power, even at altitude.

> Your
> symptoms sound similar. Momentary drop in fuel differential pressure.

Ok, this momentary drop in fuel pressure is interesting and sounds
similar indeed.

> I only changed the float bowl gaskets and that fixed it.

All right. I'm about to take the carbs out for examination anyway, so I
will replace the float bowl gaskets and see what that does for me.

> Could be when the turbo pressure goes up, the fuel pressure leaks out
> of a carb bowl gasket.

Yes, but why only temporary? This is what nags me. You may be right
about the gaskets, I will try it, but I also like to understand what is
happening and why it is happening the way it is.

> In the Rotax classes I took (Rotech in Canada who also run
> Rotax-owner.com) they emphasized always suspecting and ruling out
> carburetor problems first. They also told us that the cork gaskets
> are better than the paper ones. Bob Borger sent an eBay link a while
> back for nitrile gaskets. I bought a pair but have not installed
> them.

If I remember correctly I have the cork gaskets. I will replace them
with nitrile gaskets if I can get them.

Thanks,

Frans