Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vapour lock? Why?
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:58:27
Frans Veldman a crit :
> My conclusion is that the fuel pressure regulator is faulty, binding
> and/or internally leaking. Any comments about this?
Frans,

Before concluding about the fuel pressure regulator, I would make sure
that the test procedure is adequate.
 From numerous experiments in the past, I came to the conclusion that a
syringe is a poor means of applying a calibrated pressure to a dynamic
system such as the fuel pressure regulator.

What we did some years ago to ascertain the proper functionning of the
regulator, is apply a *calibrated head* of water by means of a clear
plastic line hoisted up to a certain height in our hangar. Of course we
provided an adequate 'S' routing so that no water would enter the
regulator port.
We found no discrepancy (using a usual fuel pressure gauge).

The resulting fuel pressure could be measured in much the same way, but
with a T fitting in the fuel line. Since we are awaiting a 0.25 bar
difference, the difference in the level in the two measuring tubes is
expected to be about 2.5 m, divided by 0.7, the density of fuel.
You could do that even with no head of water, just to make sure that the
regulator maintains Pairbox (= ambiant) + 0.25 bar, and with no leak.

Took some pictures, but failed to muster the courage to complete the
corresponding webpage on Contrails !
http://contrails.free.fr/engine_regul_en.php

BTW, we did not exactly use water, but a special scientific liquid with
better visibility : the remaining wine in the bottle left from the meal
we just had in the hangar on that particular Sunday...;-)
FWIW,

Best regards,
--
Gilles