Re: Europa-List: Re: Tie bar recess

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Tie bar recess
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 11:52:58
Jeroen,

I may not be privy to all the other comments you've received; however,
as must have been apparent from the photos I sent you off-list, I cut
the tie bar recess AND installed the tie bar BEFORE bonding on the
top. This means of course that I set the wing incidence before bonding
on the top. I did so on purpose in order to avoid the awkwardness and
difficulty I imagined if I were to do this work after the bonding of
the top.

I felt that I could change the order build because I had a great deal
of confidence that the support cradle for the lower fuselage was
keeping the fuselage aligned and true...I also clecoed the fuselage
top securely in place before setting the angle of incidence of the
wings. As I had hoped, everything remains aligned and true.

Incidentally, by holding off until the last possible moment to bond on
the top, I found that I was able to accomplish A LOT of tasks relating
to wiring, antennas, etc. aft of the baggage bay and avoid the
challenges of limited access thru the "D" panel.

just my 2 cents worth of experience,

Fred