Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 starting problems when hot

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 starting problems when hot
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:22:30

Frans,

Don't have a 914 but I know others who have suffered the same problem with
the 912S and , for what it is worth, they always
open their oil and coolant doors on top of the top cowling to allow faster
cooling of the engine compartment during stopovers.

Otherwise don't mention starting problems to me! I have now got to replace
my Sprag Clutch due to cold starting problems with my 912S
at 300 hours!! Always had it and got worse with time. So watch out when
trying to persist in trying to start the motor as it quickly destroys your
Sprag Clutch. I have also the
old mono "classic" engine frame which doesn't allow enough room for the new
Heavy Duty Starter which Rotax suddenly decided was
necessary for the 100 HP 912S. So, after replacing the Sprag Clutch, the
Rotax man is going to look at how to fix the starting problem
in cold weather. Maybe a case of redesigning the engine frame to allow for
the HD Starter?
Once it is going there is no problems with starting, so I haven't got the
vapour lock problem.
All a bit frustrating as you have found out and expensive. Might as well
throw in the 912iS, but that may unleash a different set of problems.

Anyone have some input to my problem? Tried new battery, preheating the
engine which has helped, haven't tried the soft start module,
and kicking the tyre!!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Ward,