Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 starting problems when hot

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 starting problems when hot
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:36:50

On 03/14/2012 05:08 PM, DAVID ANDERSON wrote:
> I have found, over the years, that if I run the engine taxiing in
> with the fuel pumps off and then shut it down as the engine starts to
> falter, that leaves the carb bowls empty.

That is a smart idea! I like this one. It should solve the problem, and
it also causes less residu to be built up in the carbs. (If fuel
vaporizes some residues from the various additions remain, if the carb
is drawn empty these residues can not built up in the first place).

> Then on start-up, the carbs
> are filled with fresh, cool fuel and with the techniques described,
> it starts right up. I do leave the pumps off during the start and
> then start them when the engine starts to falter.

I'm not sure if I understand this right. You switch the fuel pumps off
on arrival and let the engine sputter to a halt due to fuel starvation,
and then you leave the fuel pumps still off at the subsequent start??? I
assume that you use either one of these options but not both at the same
time because otherwise there wouldn't be any fuel available for
starting? Please clarify?

Frans