Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 starting problems when hot

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 starting problems when hot
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:50:43

On 03/13/2012 10:00 PM, PHILLIPS I wrote:

> I turn off both pumps with about a 1/4 throttle it will fire up and run
> but you must
> leave the pumps off until she starts to falter,

Thanks a lot! You, and of course everyone else who answered. Good to
hear I'm not the only one having this problem and good to hear there is
consencus about the work around to get the thing started.

Nobody came up with a suggestion why we are having this problem. Let's
see, now it is clear that the engine will start with the fuel pumps off,
we can draw some conclusions from it: It is not a fuel starvation
problem, so it is not vapour lock.

I think the best (if not only) explanation is:

After 10 minutes in a hot engine bay the fuel in the carb bowls has
vaporized completely and is then lingering in the airbox and manifold
with no easy way out, so it is still there when we try to start the
engine after these 10 minutes. The mixture is overly rich due to the
excessive fuel vapor and allowing the carbs to add the normal amount of
fuel will make the mixture so rich that the engine won't start. If we
start right after shut down the fuel in the carbs has not yet vaporized,
if we start much later the vapor has leaked away so it is not causing a
problem anymore.

Anyone else with a better explanation?

I thought of fixing this problem but now the work around is so easy I
think I will leave it at that.

Thanks everyone!

Frans