Re: Europa-List: Re: Throttle Cables

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Throttle Cables
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:07:11

Graeme,

I replaced my kinked, stranded wire with solid, teflon coated wire purchased
from
McMaster-Carr here in the States ( McMaster.com ).  There's probably a similar
product available in the U.K.  It seems to be working well, but only 25 hrs
on it so far.  Hopefully, more time will be accumulated starting next month.

If I were doing again today, I'd probably go with hi-tech, teflon, cycle brake
cable and sheath ( Amazon.com search: teflon brake cable ).

Perhaps I'll try that over next winter down time.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Feb 25, 2012, at 1:14 PM, graeme bird wrote:

> I am just getting checked out on G-UMPY after build. I used piano wire from
> Airworld/jodel
as the originals started kinking. Trouble is these are now stiff
and sticking. I had to stop flying dismantle, oil and re route. It seems they
should really be longer and either PFTE coated wire or a coated housing. The
orginal stranded ones are lower resistance but maybe it was the routing that was
the real culprit. Not sure whats best now.