Re: Europa-List: Laminova heat exchanger and Evans coolant

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Laminova heat exchanger and Evans coolant
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:49:25
Frans,
I have used the Evans in a stock trigear and have found my CHTs were
about 15 degrees cooler with the glycol.
I am as perplexed as you why the difference in the coolant temp probe
performance.
I cannot imagine that the Evans would be too thick for the Laminova heat
exchanger as the coolant is basically the same viscosity of the Ethylene
glycol.
Are you using the S34 heat exchanger?  That is what I thought about
testing.
I would expect you to see what I and others have seen with the Evans,
that is about a 15 degree CHT rise as the heat transfer rate of the
Evans is slightly less than the glycol.  For a properly set up trigear
though, that would not be anything worth worrying about.  The oil temp
should be nearly coolant temp once warmed up.

I hope not to insult you, but there are three or four types of Evans
coolants.  Are you using the heavy duty (yellow NPG), high performance
(green which I used), NPG+, or Powersport which I think is NPGR.  To my
knowledge, there is no viscosity difference with any of them and all
should work with the Rotax and Liminova.

I do know that the glycol cooler must be free of water or things to to
hell until the water evaporates.  It was like oil and water but the
Rotax still cooled.
It almost sounds like the water pump inlet hose was kinked after the
flush and blocked the flow.  Easy done.

Bud Yerly
Europa Tech Support.