Re: Europa-List: Laminova heat exchanger and Evans coolant

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Laminova heat exchanger and Evans coolant
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:12:58
I boil it out as you say.
Hope the heat exchanger works out.
Bud
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Frans Veldman<mailto:frans@privatepilots.nl>
  To: europa-list@matronics.com<mailto:europa-list@matronics.com>
  Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:35 PM

<frans@privatepilots.nl<mailto:frans@privatepilots.nl>>

  On 02/26/2012 08:44 PM, Bud Yerly wrote:

  > Just my opinion...I'm a 50/50 guy for now.

  In most cases 50/50 is the best solution. I wanted to try Evans
because
  I have cooling overcapacity so the reduced heat transfer is no issue,
  and the idea of running at zero pressure is interesting in terms of
  safety. Furthermore the engine can safely be operated at a higher
  temperature, which is good for performance. (This is not so obvious,
but
  think about it this way: we ignite the fuel to get heat. Heat is what
  drives our engines. All heat taken away from the engine is a loss of
  energy. We should not cool any more than necessary to keep the engine
  from melting.)
  But now it appears the viscosity is a problem, so I'm back at 50/50.

  Oh BTW I misunderstood your previous post, thought you were saying
that
  with Evans you had cooler CHT's but I now understand you weren't
saying
  that.

  >> > I have used the Evans in a stock trigear and have found my CHTs
were
  >> > about 15 degrees cooler with the glycol.

  If you ever consider using Evans again, forget about their prep fluid.
  Evans is a mixture of polypropylene glycol and ethylene glycol.
Regular
  anti-freeze is pure ethylene glycol. So you can prep your engine by
  pouring pure anti-freeze in it, and then drain it again with any water
  that was remaining. If some droplets of anti-freeze remain it doesn't
  matter as it is just one of the components of Evans itself.

  And if you have water in your Evans you don't have to throw it away
but
  you can just boil the water out on a stove. Or even in your engine if
  you leave the cap off.

  Frans

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List<http://www.matronics.com/N
avigator?Europa-List>