Re: Europa-List: Removing magnetic plug from Rotax 912 gearbox

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Removing magnetic plug from Rotax 912 gearbox
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 20:05:30

Fellow Europaphiles,

Yes, heat gun, impact device or impact wrench and proper drive.  I used a heat
gun, #40 Torx and impact device (all from Sears) to remove the magnetic plug
from
my engine the first time.  The impact device was a strange black thing with
a square 3/8" drive on one end and the other end was round to hammer upon.
Heated the block around the plug with the heat gun, put the Torx drive on the
impact device, made sure it was properly and firmly seated in the plug and then
whacked it a good one with a 2 lb hammer.  The impact simultaneously applied
both an inward force and a loosening torque force.  Took several good whacks
(take care not to crack the block) to get it loose enough to remove with a
ratchet.
I have since acquired a nice little Makita cordless impact wrench that
I would use for the plug removal should it be necessary.  Hopefully, by using
anti-sieze and proper torque upon last reinstallation, it will not be necessary
later this week when I begin the annual condition inspection.

If you have buggered up the hole in the plug such that your Torx or hex wrench
will no longer work, Sears has a set of removal tools with a strong left-hand
bite that do not require one to drill out the hole.  They could possibly be used
to remove the plug.  I have used them to remove other messed up screws that
I though would be impossible to get out.

I can provide pictures of these tools should you want to see what they actually
look like before you go searching for them.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop.
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

On Feb 19, 2012, at 5:21 PM, Kingsley Hurst wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
> When removing the magnetic plug, in addition to the heating, cooling and
> impacting
methods, it is important to use the correct tool.

> Early engines had a 6 mm Allen fitting.  Later engines have a #40 Torx fitting
requiring a #40 Torx socket. The latest engines of course now have the Hex
headed
plug.

> Look carefully because the Torx fitting looks very much like an Allen key one
at first sight.

> Also, don't use a cheap Torx socket, a Snap-on one may prove to be cheap in
> the
long run!

> Cheers
> Kingsley from Oz - Enjoying my first real cross country trip in a 914 Mono.
> 800nm
---From home at the moment but still in the same State!  Truly is a great cross
country aircraft.