Re: Europa-List: Re: burping the 912

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: burping the 912
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:34:54
I have a vague memory that the burping recommendation was something to do w
ith checking that oil hadn't drained down into the sump=0Awhich might cause
 hydraulic lock. Could be other ways to check, such as quantity of oil in t
he tank.=0AAnother vague memory, (sorry for the foggy thoughts!) is that on
e chap in Devon or Cornwall regularly hand started his 912 so I=0Aam prepar
ed to accept that hand starting is possible. Think about the gearing.-=0A
Graham=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: John Wighton <john@wi
ghton.net>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Thursday, 2 February 20
12, 9:52=0ASubject: Europa-List: Re: burping the 912=0A =0A--> Europa-List
message posted by: "John Wighton" <john@wighton.net>=0A=0AI attended the Ro
tax maintenance course held at the LAA in the UK. =0A=0AThe burping process
 was discussed at some length, the conclusion being that unless you have no
 idea how much oil is in the engine - don't do it. =0A=0AThe burping proces
s simply returns oil to the tank.- For a cold engine this means you are r
otating and clearing oil off parts that really need all the oil they can ge
t in the first seconds after start up.=0A=0AExcept after an oil/filter chan
ge l do not burp my engine at all.- I know the oil level in the tank when
 cold that corresponds to 'enough oil'.- This procedure leaves oil in the
 engine and hopefully will result in less wear over it's life.=0A=0AThe CDI
 RPM threshold is too high to enable hand crack starts of Rotax 912/914 eng
ines.- But that is no reason for complacency when turning the engine - al
ways treat as live.=0A=0AJohn=0A=0A--------=0AJohn Wighton=0AEuropa XS trig
ear G-IPOD=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A=0Ahttp://forums.ma