Europa-List: Re: burping the 912

Subject: Europa-List: Re: burping the 912
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 01:52:08

I attended the Rotax maintenance course held at the LAA in the UK.

The burping process was discussed at some length, the conclusion being that
unless
you have no idea how much oil is in the engine - don't do it.

The burping process simply returns oil to the tank.  For a cold engine this
means
you are rotating and clearing oil off parts that really need all the oil they
can get in the first seconds after start up.

Except after an oil/filter change l do not burp my engine at all.  I know the
oil
level in the tank when cold that corresponds to 'enough oil'.  This procedure
leaves oil in the engine and hopefully will result in less wear over it's life.

The CDI RPM threshold is too high to enable hand crack starts of Rotax 912/914
engines.  But that is no reason for complacency when turning the engine - always
treat as live.

John

--------
John Wighton