Europa-List: AC powered fin strobe

Subject: Europa-List: AC powered fin strobe
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 22:12:13

My fin mounted 12V DC Filser strobe went u/s, and I have spent some time looking
for a similar strobe that will fit in the hole in the fin (5 cm exact diameter).
I settled on the Illusion strobe from the US (mostly used for ultralights),
the only one that will fit, and this is powered directly from the Rotax 912
magneto generator, which supplies 12V AC.  I am told it has an exceptionally
bright flas.  The strobe power box is wired in series between the 912 generator
wires (yellow) and the Ducati voltage rectifier. Also, strangely, there is
no circuit breaker or fuse in this system.  Has anyone installed an Illusion AC
system before, or similar?  Are there problems, does it blow the rectifier?
The supplier assures me this is a common installation with 912 engines, and
there
are no problems.

Read this topic online here: